Here are the ten things which I think were the highlights of this season, in no particular order (or may be there is, I don’t know):
- Real Madrid did not win its much awaited 10nth Champions League crown. Despite putting together the best bought squad in the history of club football (in my opinion) and bringing in the best coach in the world as far as club football goes, Real Madrid just could not regain its lost place as the number 1 team in Europe. The Germans (as always) proved to be too tough, too professional and too strong physically. Barcelona did not have it their way either as they got humiliated in the semi finals of the Champions League 7-0 aggregate score. Real Madrid did not do too well either by any standards as we lost 3-4 on aggregate against the lowly BVB Dortmund.
- Real Madrid could not even win the league after literally beating everyone to the ground last season. We came a distant second behind Barcelona who are (without any sort of a meaningful coach) set to score 100 points in the league this season which is obviously something Real Madrid already achieved last season.
- Real Madrid did not win the Copa Del Ray either for a number of factors ( I won’t mention any of them). We lost to a team we did not lose to in the 21st century. Atletico Madrid beat us bad and that too at home in a Cup Final. Mourinho’s last season went trophy-less because of this single defeat.
- Mourinho left Real Madrid. Though recently announced, it is something of a high point of the last season (or this season depending on your interpretation). I can’t really say it was not coming, but Mourinho had exhausted everything he had available on this Real Madrid team and still they could not catch Barcelona neither could he lead Real Madrid to its long wanted 10nth European crown.
- Higuain will leave Real Madrid at the end of this summer. Higuain has been that kind of a player who performs well in one game and is a complete shadow in the next. I think it was about time Real Madrid gave up hope on him just as it did with Robinho (which turned out to be a pretty good decision). Reports say that he will go to Juventus and I think the game there will suit him perfectly, slow and physical.
- Di Maria is also set to leave Real Madrid for an unknown club (for now). Like Higuain he also had issues with his fitness and his consistency. He has got a lot of pace and that is why I think he should not be sold. You do not need to be in top form to run past everyone and that is where I think Di Maria will be dangerous in any game regardless of his own individual form.
- Ancelotti would become the next Real Madrid coach. Not my man to be honest. I don’t think he can bring anything to the table which Mourinho could not. I think it would be a mistake to think that of all the good coaches in the world Ancelotti would bring Real Madrid where Perez wants Real Madrid to be. I think Klopp was the perfect choice as he did something unbelievable with a team which almost got extinct in the league and in the Champions League.
- Ronaldo cannot be trusted. One time he wants to stay at Real Madrid for life and become its greatest player and in the next moment he wants to return to Manchester where he left his heart some 4 years ago. Ronaldo is a great player and has been the most consistent football player in the past 3 to 4 years alongside Messi, but unlike Messi he is a mercenary. He comes to a place, makes his name, takes his money and leaves.
- Real Madrid needs to sign a right back. I think I have been saying that for the past 2 seasons. Sergio Ramos is a great right back but now everyone wants him to play in the center. Arbeloa sucks when it comes to the big games. Daniel Alves is rumored to be leaving Barcelona and I think it presents an opportunity for Real Madrid to get a cheap deal (not sure if Real Madrid has that pact with Barcelona where big Spanish teams cannot buy or sell to each other).
- Pepe is also to leave Real Madrid for sure. He is not the same player he was when he came to Real Madrid and because of his temperament, I think Real Madrid would want to sell him at any cost. With Mourinho gone, there would be no one to defend the type of non sense Pepe has been involved in, these past could of seasons.
So that was my take on Real Madrid’s season 2012-2013. I would love to hear what you have to say about Mourinho leaving and Ronaldo’s potential move back to Manchester United. I am all ears now, so talk to me. HALA MADRID!!!!